Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Write: The Music In My Ears

One of the habits I have while writing is music.  Something about it lets me shut off the outside world and get into the words.  Of course, it has to be the right kind of music.  It's also pretty easy to set aside writing while I try to find the right kind. 

Pandora is a fantastic tool for me.  I don't have to worry about what band to play, just pick a station and have at it.  If it's not working for me, I just change the station until it is right.  No hassling with piles of CDs and indecision over which one sounds right.  Plus, it lets me listen to the kinds of music I don't have at home. 

The bad side?  I don't often remember what the really neat songs I liked were.  They just shuffle on to the next song and I forget about it afterward. 

I recently found a new thing, that I'm sure is probably an old thing, Reverb Nation.  Not only does this have great artists on it and a neat way to search it out, but it has local music as well.  Of course, it's not as seamless as Pandora, but it has it's good points. 

As I get ready for NaNoWriMo this year, I'm trying to compose a playlist or stations I can turn to so I don't waste time looking for it.  My typical music types are Blues, Rockabilly, Punk, and Swamp Rock.  I'm looking for some good Steampunk bands to get into the mood of my novel.

What do you listen to while writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment