Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Create: Potato Soup with Spinach

Potato soup has always been a comfort food for me and my family.  On Christmas Eve, when we all gather together, we typically have a pot of chili and a pot of potato soup going.  My grandmother would make it with flour dumplings and that was my favorite part of the soup. 

The other day, we were shopping at Wheatsfield and their deli had a wonderful potato soup with sausage in it.  It was wonderful and made me realize just how long it has been since I've made it.  I've never quite figured out how to make the dumplings properly but I've managed some wonderful soup all on my own.  Of course, I almost never write down my recipe.

Today, however, I would like to share my Potato, Spinach, and Sausage Soup with you.  Please feel free to adjust it to suit your own tastes.

Ingredients:
4 large Golden Russett Potatoes (or the plain old kind, I was feeling spiffy)
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup torn spinach with stems removed
4 New Orleans Style Sausages (They look like bratwursts and are made like Andouille)
4 cups of water
4 cups of milk
1 tbps butter or margarine
Salt and Pepper to taste

I threw all those ingredients in in the pot, saving the butter for last half hour of cooking, and cooked over medium heat.  I attempted to use a crockpot, but I just kept messing with it and it wasn't doing what I wanted, so I switched to the stove.  Cook until the potatoes are done and it tastes right to you.  Serve with crackers or bread.
The kiddo thought it was fantastic, and I thought it was wonderful.  So go enjoy a warm bowl of soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment