Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Is it Mardi Gras yet?


I love Mardi Gras.  It’s not the drinking or the beads or anything like that, although one day I will visit New Orleans.  What I love is the whole idea of Mardi Gras – let’s have a huge party before we have to go be all faithful and stuff.  Seriously?  How nifty is that.

In history, Mardi Gras was Carnivale, which could be a celebration that lasted for weeks.  In Venice, my special sinful SCA city, you could say the Carnivale season lasted even longer than that.  There were rules stating how many months of the year masks could be worn. 

I’m not Catholic, and none of my current friends are either, but it’s always fun to get together on Mardi Gras.  You don’t have to be Irish to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and you don’t have to be Catholic, or giving up anything for Lent, to celebrate Mardi Gras.  So we will gather together tomorrow, bringing our potluck dishes and fancy masks, and have a great time with friends.

I will try to keep that spirit alive through the last of this winter until spring returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment