Most of my creating time lately has been filled with sewing. I’m going to a SCA event this weekend and I wanted to make a new set of garb. It could have been one a lot sooner, but I, of course, suffer from fear I’m going to screw something up. :)
I managed to make a gown based off the styles of Venice in the 1500’s. I forgot to take pictures of it all by itself… grr. The bodice is the main time consumer on the under dress. In front, there is a couple layers of canvas cut in an odd way to make the bodice self-supporting. The dress has two side openings which lace up. The skirt material is cartridge pleated to the bodice and sewn up the sides.
The over dress (the red one) is split open in the front and has a v at the front and back. I used a hook and eye to close it. When I tried it on without the under dress, it stayed closed all on its own. I might have to add another hook and eye a little further down.
This over dress was probably the hardest part of the whole thing. It’s not a hard pattern, but I was stressing out like crazy because I just couldn’t wrap my head around the instructions. Last time I made one, I didn’t do the gores right and I really didn’t want to mess this one up. But I followed through with the instructions and it fits wonderfully.
The sleeves I’m not sold on. I might have to make a different set to go with it. They are in two pieces, a closed upper sleeve and a tied lower sleeve which lets my camicia poof out through the openings. The upper sleeve should probably be made shorter. But it’s not bad for a first effort.