Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

I love my local music


I love my local music scene.  I don’t get to very many concerts (partly because I’m busy, partly because I’m crazy self-conscious), but I love the fact that we have such a wide variety of local musicians.  The music isn’t confined to just bars either.  We have house concerts, a dedicated space for music and art, and a local community radio station that plays host to concerts.  We also have a couple different series of concerts during the summer outside at a park, a series at the library, and a weekend festival of musicians at all sorts of different locations in Ames. 

I love my local music scene.

Last Wednesday, I went to a house concert for SJ Tucker.  Chesire Moon, a local group, opened up for her and I can’t say enough good things about the concert.  Everyone was awesome and the music…  It was fantastic.

This Saturday, I will be going to Aquapalooza at Ames High School.  It is a fundraiser to help the Ames non-profit Clean Water Movement build a well in Uganda.  For only ten dollars, I might finally get to see Poison Control Center!  Utopia Park will be playing and they put on one crazy, crazy show (guy hanging from the ceiling upside down in a dress crazy.  Seriously.  That’s what happened last time I saw them.  And he got stuck.).  Christopher the Conquered and Mumford’s, both of whom put on great shows, will play along with a bunch of others. 

If you are in Ames this Saturday, I suggest you drop anything else you have planned and get your butt down to the high school.  You will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment