Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year, New Goals?

The millions of blogs I read (or skim) have been all abuzz over creating new writing goals this week.  With the new year, it's expected that everyone is creating resolutions.  They want to make the new year a better year than the one before.  They want to accomplish something.

So do I, but I don't make resolutions.  But I do make goals. 

I am still working on sorting out this years goals in writing, crafting, and life itself.  Last year was crazy busy and the NaNoWriMo season pretty much burned me out on everything.  So this year, I'm taking extra time to par down what I want to and what I think I can accomplish without going insane.  Can I really make six quilts before xmas when I've never quilted before?  Can I really write two novel drafts and a chapbook in a year? 

The writing goals I'm floating around are:
- Finishing my unfinished NaNoWriMo novel at least to first draft status
- Rewriting last years novel to first draft status (It was handwritten and I've decided to change the story around)
- Prepping and getting ready for NaNoWriMo 2012 in addition to the other two
- Skipping NaNoWriMo and focusing on getting a novel to a second draft status
- Having enough polished poems to create a chapbook
- Submitting a piece of writing every month
- Write a piece, submit a piece
- Filling up a journal each month
- Going to an Iowa Writers Workshop Summer program
- Get the Ames C.art newsletter done on time every month
- Redesign the blog, blog content, and mission

With as many different directions that I have in my life, there's no way I can make all of them my goals.  What I can do, however, is pick a couple I feel comfortable with and believe I can reach.  Then maybe pick one or two more that would be a 'dream' goal that I could aim for once I meet the other goals.  But I'm not looking for so many goals they are unreachable, I need solid goals that I am sure I can reach with a little stretching.

Do you have any goals or resolutions this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment