Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Reading to Write


There are loads of books about writing out on the market today.  Go check out the reference section in your book store or search through your library.  There is a book for almost every topic you need help with. Sorting through them may take some time, but I’ve found a few gems tucked in the shelves.

One of my favorite books is The Poetry Home Repair Manual by Ted Kooser.  Reading this book totally changed the way I write poetry.  It was like I found the missing piece of my writing in these pages.  I’m not saying this just because he is from my home state, although it might have factored into the reason I picked up his book in the first place.

One of the first books I ever read about poetry, outside of school, was The Poet’s Companion by Kim Addonizio and Dorianne Laux.  I recently received my own copy of this book through Paperback Swap.  It’s been ages since I’ve read it, but I can’t wait to tuck back into the pages.  There are exercises and writing prompts spread throughout the book.

What are some of your favorite books on writing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment