Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Create: Calendar and Pomander

Today is December 1st... already!  I remember getting advent calendars when I was a kid and got to thinking that because my son is being raised as a Pagan, there are a lot of traditions he is missing out on.  He has also been bugging me lately about "doing something fun" with me, although the things I suggest get a half minute worth of time and then he's bored again. 

A couple blogs that I follow had some advent calendar ideas and I snagged a couple to fill both needs.  Instead of having a piece of candy for each day, we are doing an activity!  Rather than open up a door, we are unfolding a paper chain.  I'm hoping to save each piece and make ornaments for next year when it's all over.  Hopefully this will be a tradition we can continue.

For the chain I cut twenty one strips after making my list of activities, starting on the 1st and going to the 21st.  Then I wrote the activity on the inside and folded it in half.  I based each activity based on what we have going on in the week.  Mondays and Tuesdays are pretty shot for intensive activities since the kiddo has wrestling right after I get home. 

On the outside I wrote the number.  (Didn't think about it at the time, but next year I will count DOWN the days left instead of counting the days.)  Then I taped up each one and hung it on the calendar. 

Today was Day One (although it's technically the third day.  But it's a Solstice calendar anyway, who cares!) and my son can't wait to open another one tomorrow.  Success!  We made pomanders tonight.  I haven't made one of these since I was a kid.  Hopefully they dry out alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment