Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Create: Mmm, Pancakes

This is my favorite pancake recipe.  It cooks up nice and fluffy and light.  It is also great for freezing and popping in the toaster for a quick breakfast.  I always double the recipe and split the flour between whole wheat and regular flour.  The one I have shared with you is the original recipe.

The recipe was found on AllRecipes.com, under the name Fluffy Pancakes.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup milk
2 tbs white vinegar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 tbs butter, multed
Cooking spray

Directions:
1.  Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour."

2.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Whisk egg and butter into "soured" milk.  Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and whisk until lumps are gone.

3.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray.  Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface.  Flip with a spatula and cook until brown on the other side.

Tips and Tricks:  The cooking spray is what let me make pancakes.  I was forever burning them and adding more grease to the pan.  One light spray before you put down your first pancake will do it and will last through the entire batch or double batch.  I never have to respray the pan. 

When I was out of spray the other weekend, I put a bit of Crisco into the pan  and swirled it around so it coated the bottom.  That was all I needed.  a

For freezing, I set out a cookie sheet covered with wax paper and lay my newly finished pancakes on it.  Once I am done cooking, I toss my cookie sheet into the freezer for awhile so they harden up.  Once frozen, I take the pancakes off the cookie sheet and put them in a freezer bag and back into the freezer they go. 
Enjoy your comfort food this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment