Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Mused: Something to Die For

Dang it.  I had meant to make a big deal out of my 200th post, but it slipped by me just like 100 did.  Bah.  Oh well.  Welcome to my 202nd post! 

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. left us with a lot to remember him by.  He stood up for civil rights and peaceful protest.  He gave us amazing speeches that are still quoted today.  I chose one of those quotes to cross stitch for this week. 






The quote reads:  If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.





It's a little harsh, and I haven't done soul searching to discover if my beliefs are something I would lay down my life for.  But I know I would come close.  And of course, I would die for my son.

I chose this quote as a way of reminding myself that I want to focus on Action this year.  I believe in a lot of things, like equal rights for all, and I firmly deeply believe in it.  I sign petitions and try to teach my son about it.  I vote for it.  But yet I have trouble getting out there and standing up for it in a sense.  I don't always speak up when I hear someone bashing equal rights.  I don't go out and volunteer at the phone banks or at protests.  And I want to.  I want to believe that I can make a difference by my actions, and I want to push my actions as far as I can.

Have you discovered something you would die for?

No comments:

Post a Comment