Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Muse: A New Beginning

The first post of a new year!  And almost my 200th post as well.  I'm excited! 

The new year is typically a time for people to make resolutions and 'start over.'  I've never been a person to make resolutions, partly because they seem made to be broken.  I'm not sure I've ever met someone who has followed their resolution all the way through.  It also seems like resolutions are made on the spur of the moment. 

But I do believe this can be a time to take stock of where you are and where you want to go. 

Now, I'm not saying that resolutions are bad things.  In fact, at Imbolc I will be pledging something to myself, my community, and my world as I have the past two years.  This year they are going to be a bit more specific than before, but they are things to focus on.  This year I also think I am going to be making an oath to the gods at Anthesteria, a Hellenic festival at the end of February.

For all that I'm making plans and pledges and oaths, I want to follow them not just because I said I would, but because I want to.  I want my life to go that way.  I want to grasp the threads that have been flowing through my head for the past year and actually put them into action.

Someone at the UU recently posted their plan for the new year, and I found a reference to a similar practice on a blog lately, and so I think I will join them.  Instead of making resolutions at the new year, they choose a focus word.  This word they take with them through the year and refer back to.

My word this year is Action. 

And so I will go forward into a new beginning reminding myself to take action for the things that matter to me.

What are your goals, resolutions, or focuses for the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment