Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Inspire: Get down in the dirt

It's the end of February and you know what that means?  That I should have been planning my garden weeks ago.  But I got a bit busy and distracted with other things...  But now I am ready to give it a go!

I live in a duplex and I don't really have a yard.  I take that back, we have a yard, but it's not for gardening.  It's manicured grass and I'm not exactly sure what we are supposed to do with it.  It's great to have the green there, but it's annoying that I can't dig it up for a garden.  On a good note, however, there is cement 'patio' space to the side of each building that currently gets used for grills and parking (because my neighbor hasn't figured out that the pole means stop).  I don't think anyone will have a problem with me taking over some of that cement for a garden.

How am I going to garden on cement?  In pots of course.  I just bought a bunch of buckets from a local restaurant, now I just have to get them ready to hold my garden and figure out what to plant and I'll be golden.

Last year I borrowed some garden space from a friend who lived down the street from my old apartment.  Then, halfway through the year, I moved before I pulled more than some radishes from it.  I really miss the mint I planted.  It was growing so fantastically.  I should have taken a cutting from it but I didn't even think about it.  Why can't I ask for a cutting from my friend?  Because she has separated from her husband and no longer lives there now.

I didn't have time to go to the greenhouse this weekend, but you better believe it's on my list for next week!

Are you gardening this year?  If you don't have a yard, how do you grow green things?  Any suggestions and tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment