Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Inspire: Sandman Slim

It's been some time since I posted about something that inspired me rather than events and calendars.  But this one should make up for it. :) 

I used to roleplay and read from the cyberpunk genre.  We're talking William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, Blade Runner, and Shadowrun.  I like the gritty anti-heroes who would rather watch you die than save you without cash up front.  I like the characters who have deep flaws but save the world anyway.  

Unfortunately, it's been quite awhile since I read anything in that genre.  Then I found this book with a quote from William Gibson on the cover:  "An addictively satisfying, deeply amusing, dirty-ass masterpiece....Sweet."  Of course I had to pick it up.

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey isn't quite cyberpunk, but it's a fantastic book.  The book starts off with the main character returning from Hell (the place where Lucifer lives) after eleven years and mugging some rich guy in a cemetery.  And it only gets better.  The guy, Stark, as he likes being called,  finds a punk-tiki bar called Bamboo House of Dolls.  Then he chops the head off an old friend who is one of the group who sent him to hell.  But don't worry, the guy is still alive, just isn't attached to his body.  Yeah, Stark is a magician.  At one point, he attacks another magician with a toilet plunger.

Stark was betrayed by his magical buddies and sent to Hell alive.  He found a way out and now is back for revenge. 

It's a great book and one I'm very glad I got to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment