Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Create: A Faerie at the Ball

I needed wings for the faerie ball I went to last week, and I didn't have a single pair.  I had been lusting over a pair I saw at the Renn Faire last year but I hadn't found a place that sold them for a price I could afford, and I figured there must be a way to make them....

I figured it out!  Well, at least my version.  With a little bit of hot glue (my new favorite crafty tool), wire, and duct tape, I made my own version of these spiffy wings.






They are made from fake pheasant feathers, smaller feathers, and plastic evergreen branches.  All gotten at half off at Hobby Lobby.




They took me several hours to make, but that was due to a couple false starts and a need to redo the straps a couple of times. 

I started off with just thick elastic as my straps, but they rolled and pinched under my arms and I did not like it.  I wanted these to be very comfortable.  So then I tried lengthening the the back so the straps didn't circle in on each other and they still rolled.  I ended up cutting out pieces of fabric and backing them with smaller straps of felt.   They were wider than the elastic and with just having elastic at the top and bottom, they stayed in place very well.

I got several wonderful comments about my wings and I'm very happy with the way they turned out.

Have a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment