Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Inspire: Travelling a New Road

I got out of my own way this weekend and it led me down an interesting path.  A Pagan group was going to hold the 2nd annual Faerie Ball about an hour away from where I live.  I had been on the fence about going, it was a long distance and my normal travel distance is half an hour.  The group leader and I haven't always seen eye to eye.  But a friend was going to be the DJ and I thought it might be a good time to come out of my solitary shell.  So I was thinking about going.

Then my friend asked me to be a backup DJ for her.  She was going to have surgery on Thursday and wasn't sure if she would be well enough to make it.  I bit the bullet and said yes.  And, as those sorts of things are bound to go, I found myself heading off to Redfield to DJ all by my lonesome.  Have I ever been a DJ before?  No.  A song from Rockula kept running through my head:

"Are you the DJ? No, I'm the vampire."

The drive down there was fantastic.  My vansharing days have affected me horribly, however, and I kept wanting to watch the scenery rather than the road.  There were hills and an old abandoned school, fields and plastic moose, all sorts of things you see in rural, small town country.  I'm not saying that I live in a big town, but drives like this make me remember what else there is to offer outside of paved streets and neon signs.  

I managed to write a few poems while I was there behind the speakers.  I wasn't a very good DJ, I couldn't fix the speakers (they sounded blown), and the group only danced to one song, but they certainly gave me enough to think about.  The song was a slow one and the couples were out on the floor.  You could tell they cared about each other.  

I've got a lot of fodder for new stories and poems.  I hope your weekend was just as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment