Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Create: A new way to braid

Whenever I need a cord for a necklace or a drawstring, I go out to the store to buy it or use (what amounts to) a single crochet chain.  They are both simple to use and quick to make up.  I don't like to use chains for jewelry because they eat my hair.  I haven't figured out what it is, but I end up having to rip out my hair to get the chain loose.  It's not fun.
Recently, I was introduced to a new way to create a cord.  It might just take over all my cording needs.  It's pretty easy, so far, and makes a nice cord.  Kumihimo is a Japanese braiding technique that can create round or flat cords.  Supposedly, Samurai used these cords to tie their armor together. 
A friend of mine was nice enough to give me an extra set when I was interested in what she was doing.  So I have been pulling it out and working on it while watching Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist with the kiddo.  I only know one pattern so far, but it's pretty nifty that just moving threads back and forth can create a pattern.  I hope to learn a bit more and maybe I'll be able to share some techniques and patterns here.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool. I actually had a book about this for a while but never ended up doing anything with it so I threw it in a swap package. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think they actually have the kits at Hobby Lobby, they are just called something different.

    ReplyDelete