Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Write: Keeping it all in order

I have two white boards in my house.  A large one in my bedroom/office and a smaller one by the kitchen table.  I've gone through a couple different ways to organize these and still feel that I should just coat the walls in dry erase paint and write everywhere.  One of the things I added to this last round of organizing is more space for random ideas, like Hercules on Probation.  In order to keep white space available, I've also created a spreadsheet for ideas and to do lists.

I'm still getting the hang of my organizer, but I really enjoy having all my writing ideas in one place.  Often, I'll get home and my new wonderful idea is at work and I can't remember what it was.  Or I will jot it down on a piece of paper and promptly loose it.  This way, I can have one sheet with my ideas that I can pick from at any time (except on the van, but nothing is perfect).

When the Hercules idea came up, I wrote it down on my white board and transferred it to the spreadsheet when I next logged in.  Last night, when I sat down to write, I looked over the ideas and picked one to write about.

I have different columns with space for a title, a description of the piece, where I might submit it, and considerations for those submissions.

How do you organize your thoughts for writing, crafting, or getting things done? 

No comments:

Post a Comment