Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Create: Spring Cozy

I get random ideas sometimes.  Most of the time, they are "Man, I wish I had one of those.  I should make one!"  And they last for several years.  Hence my constant wish for arm warmers when I am fully capable of making a pair.  Lately, for an unknown reason, I decided that it would be awesome to have a mug cozy.

 
 I made this one to keep my tea warm while I sit and shiver and dream of spring.  Please forgive the fire extinguisher, this is my mug at work.  It's made with variegated cotton and has a button to keep it over the handle.

Let me see if I can write the pattern... Let me know if it needs any changes!
Keep in mind that each mug/cup is different.  What works for mine may not work for yours.  There are a bunch of mug cozy patterns out there, so find one you like!  (And if it happens to me mine, let me know! ;))  As this is a tall cup (I like mine to hold quite a bit), you may need to decrease the number of rounds before you stop.

Spring Cozy:
H hook
Cotton yarn
Coordinating button

Note:  This originally was meant to be base six, but I included the starter chain of my magic circle.  But it fits my cup perfectly!

Row 1:  In a magic circle, sc six, join with a ss and ch 1 (7)
Row 2:  2 sc in each sc around, join with a ss and ch 1 (14)
Row 3:  *2 sc in first stitch, sc in next,* repeat from  * to * around, join with a ss and ch 1 (21)
Row 4:  *2 sc in first stitch, sc in next two,* rep from * to * around, join with ss and ch 1 (28)
Row 5:  *2 sc in first stitch, sc in next three,* rep from * to * around, join with ss and ch 1 (35)
Rows 6-10:  Sc in each stitch around, join with ss and ch 1 (35) (5 rounds)
Row 11: Sc in each stitch for 31, ch 1 and turn (31)
Rows 12-17: Sc in each stitch, ch 1 and turn (31) (6 rounds)
Row 18:  Sc in each stitch, chain 14, turn
Row 19: Sc in each stitch, turn at the corner and sc in each stitch down the side of your previous rows.  Skip the corner stitch, sc across the bottom, skip the corner, sc up the sides of your previous rows.  Fasten off.

Try your cozy on and see where the loop you created will end.  Sew on a button at that spot, slip in your mug, and you're cozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment