Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Write: Choose a Path

Sorry about the late post.  Kiddo is sick so I stayed home.  I'll get better about this, I swear! :)

Exercise:  You stand at a crossroads.  Down one path, you are surrounded by people you know laughing.  Drinks and gorgeous food are served to you.  Down the other path, you are surrounded by the homless, the lost.  You are serving them basic good food and they smile at you.

What path would you choose?

Friends called me on the way out the door, inviting me to dinner with a few other people.  They were going to a fantastic restaurant, one we had been talking about going to.  The reviews were amazing.  They even said that there was a guy they wanted to introduce me to. 

But I had other plans.

I pulled my car into the lot, feeling bad when I made sure it was locked.  I knew some of the people here, but it wasn't them I was worried about.  This wasn't the best neighborhood and I knew someone who had their car stolen last week.

Davey waved at me from his perch by the door.  A smile lit my face as I made my way across the yard.  "I'm glad to see you," he said, standing up as I approached.  He shook my hand and opened the door for me.  The smile that covered his face was brighter than a light bulb and brought out the lines by his eyes.  "I got a job," he burst out happily, his back straight with pride, "I start tomorrow."

"That's wonderful, Davey!" I exclaimed, pausing before crossing the threshold to give him a hug.  "Congratulations!  See, I told you that it would happen.  You just couldn't give up."

"I wouldn't have been able to do it if it wasn't for you and the others," Davey shrugged, following me to the kitchen of the homeless shelter.  "You all make us feel human again.  Like we mean something.  We don't have anything but you make us feel like we are worth more than the air we breathe.  Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment