Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Inspire: Zines, Zines, Zines

I think I grew up under a rock.  I don't think it had too much to do with living in the middle of Iowa, but more with being raised by conservative country music folk.  I didn't know anything about any other type of music until around middle school.  We went to Arizona to visit relatives for x-mas and a cousin gave me a Metallica tape.  I was hooked.

I didn't really get into alternative, punk, or indie music until the past couple of years.

Maybe that is a reason I never knew about until recently. 

In January, I went to a zine workshop and I was hooked.  I had ideas floating around my head forever.  But I only just finished my first actual zine this month.  I made a mini zine at that workshop and I made another, but this was my first 'actual' zine.

I'm proud of myself for finishing it, but yet I know I could make it better.  And of course, I now have ideas for a couple more zines!

What is it that attracts me to zines?  I think it's that it doesn't matter what you put into it, it's yours and the only person who has a say about it is you.  You could do a zine completely about your dog, your emotions, or what sucks about your neighbors.  It could be a craft zine, a religious zine, or a music zine.  Take any idea you want, and you can make your own thing.

So our inspiration for this week is just thinking about what you have to say and how you want to say it.

What would you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment