Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Write: To Whom It May Concern

Exercise:  Write a letter to a person you choose.  It could be a friend, a relative, or a complete stranger.  It could be to a fictional person or a character you are writing.  Or, come up with a list of questions you would like to know about your character and have them write you a letter with the answers.

It is up to you if you want to mail the letter when you are done.  The exercise is just about writing it.
Enjoy!


Dear Crystal,

Thank you so much for your letter.  It is always nice to know that someone finds history interesting enough to ask questions.  Through my long years, it seems only scholars and hero-worshipers have been interested to know what I have seen.

I was born in Nassau, in the beautiful islands of the Bahamas.  My mother was English, and my father was Spanish.  Between the English and the Spanish, they tore our island apart, but my mother managed to stay safe and sound, raising my older brother and I while my father was off to sea and war. 

I always say that my father was the reason I took to the sea when I was older, but he was only  half the reason.  As a young girl, my mother would let me tag after my brother, running to and fro on the soft sands, running errands for the sailors, and making mischief.  The sailors were great, but the pirates were fascinating. 

 Being able to throw off the shackles that told me I'd only be a wench serving beer?  Being able to say no to the highest goal of wedding the tavern owner?  There was no reason for me to serve, hiding my true sex, toiling under harsh orders with no gain when I could be myself earning enough to buy a tavern of my own as a pirate.

How did I, a child of sun and sea, turn into a vampire?  That is a question with a many shaded answer.  I could tell you that my Master was lonely, and it was slightly true, but he had a whole court of vampires with him.  I could tell you that I was sold to him by a jealous sailor who didn't think women should be in a position of power, and that was true but not all.  My reputation had reached my Masters ears, and he went searching for me.  Was there an offer?  Did I go willingly into the deepest night? 

Maybe those questions will be answered in the next letter...

No comments:

Post a Comment