Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Inspire: Let's Go Camping!


I've always loved camping.  The fire, the forest, the animals, and hanging out with family and friends.  Although, when I first started camping, it was in my grandparents pop up camper, so my experience with tents didn't come until later.  Depending on who I'm camping with, I've found setting up a tent to be a meditative experience (or a horror story).  But once all the fussy stuff is done, I love the view of trees lit up from underneath by the fire and warm laughter shared.

I haven't gone camping in quite a while.  I didn't go at all last year, and the year before I think I went once.  I miss it.

The last weekend in July I have an opportunity to go camping with a group on someone's land.  It'd be me and the kiddo and a bunch of people I barely know.  But you know what?  I'm getting excited about it.  I think I might pull out my new Salvation Army tent and make sure it's all there this weekend, let it air out. 

The kiddo has already gone camping this year since I signed him up for Nature Camps through the county conservation program.  It was his first overnight without family and I think I was more worried than he was.  He had a blast and gets to go again the first week of August.

In the middle of the heat, before school starts, during an excessive heat warning, I'm dreaming about camping and trying not to think of the heat, bugs, and sweat.  I'm ready to go.

Do you regularly, or irregularly, go camping?  Tent or camper?  All weekend or one nighter?  Please feel free to share any tips or recommendations!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, C.L.! I'm not much of a camper, more of a hiker, but I vote cabin! Cozy and comfortable. I found your blog thru Craft Leftovers, and I love the mix of writing, religion, and crafting. They are all connected here in a totally unique way. Unrelated: I'm a writer myself--nonfiction, not poetry--and I'm researching craft bloggers like you this summer with a grant I got from my MFA institution, University of New Hampshire. I'd like to invite you to take a survey I'm conducting at craftbookproject.com. It's way less than 10 minutes, and there's a giveaway going on there right now. Hope you will check it out. Thanks for keeping up such a cool blog!
    --Alicia
    craftbookproject.com
    barnstormjournal.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments, Alicia! I always appreciate knowing when people like my stuff.

    I took your survey and I wish you good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete