Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Inspire: There's a Party Going On

Happy Independence Day to the Americans, and happy 4th of July to everyone else!  It's a time for fireworks, picnics, and barbecuing.  Here in Iowa, this weekend was also festival time.

I finally managed to get myself to part of 80/35 on Saturday, a two day music festival that hosts local and national acts.  It has three stages, a craft fair, local food venders, and this year had a 'green' area where you could pedal a bike in order to power a video game. 
Nearly 50 astounding acts on multiple stages thrill crowds with spine-tingling sonic stimulation. From wondrous indie headliners and electrifying hip-hop acts to astonishing alt-country and funky fun bands. 80/35 is made for music fans of all ages and genres. And, as a bonus, much of the magical music is absolutely free, including regional and local acts.
I talk a lot about local music, but I rarely get to shows and in the four years 80/35 has been going on, this is the first time I've gone.  And I'll definitely go again.  I might not take as many kids with me, but I'll go. :)  Unfortunately, I didn't get to see all the bands I wanted to since we left early.  However, the bands I did see made up for it all. 

When I decide to break out of my shell, I go all the way.  Not only did I go to 80/35, I went to a CD release party on Friday for Mumford's.  No, not Mumford and Sons, Mumford's.  They are a local band who put on a great show.  All the bands were awesome and crazy on stage, especially Utopia Park.  One guy was in a dress and ended up humping the ceiling.  Yes, the ceiling.  It was fantastic.

Next weekend is my birthday party.  While there will be little to no ceiling humping, accordians, or goat masks, it should still be fun. 

Do you go to festivals or parties during the summer?  What are you listening to right now?

2 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear the 80/35 was fun. Emma and I mostly listen to country, the hubby to hard rock.

    Happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a wide variety to the music. My kiddo liked the Junkyard Orchestra best - an irish jig type of band.

    ReplyDelete