Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Inspire: Geekier than Thou

I hung out with a bunch of SCA heralds this weekend at a friend's household party.  Over a decade ago I did a short stint in the historical reenactment group but I haven't touched it since.  It's a good thing I had some knowledge, though, because heralds have their own language.  If I didn't, I would have been mostly lost instead of only slightly.

One of the things that was great about the weekend was that it didn't matter how geeky, awkward, or crazy you were.  They were just there to have fun and catch up with old friends.

Having fun led us to share the Roll a D6 video with those that hadn't seen it yet. 

Imagine, if you will, a large table scattered with laptops.  Around one of those is at least ten people, about half and half on the sexes.  Now imagine the girls all rocking out to a song with the lyrics "Fighting dragons in my mind, just for kicks.  DM says your gonna die, roll a d6."  That was my weekend.  How cool was that?

Other than being a joy of geekiness, it was refreshing to hang out with adults - friends and strangers alike - who were really nice and more geeky than me.  I felt right at home.

Now I just have to keep telling myself that I don't have enough time to pick up yet another time intensive hobby...

No comments:

Post a Comment