Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Write: Trying to do too much

Those of you who have read this for awhile know that I tend to get in over my head.  For instance, I decided to sign up for swaps during the same month I intended to write a novel, the final push on the ArtVend machine, and school starting.  Go me.  These many conflicting desires, and stress at work, has led me to a complete lack of creative ambition.  Something has to give.

Each day I don't hit my writing goal means that the next goal is raised so much higher.  Camp NaNo starts off with a goal of 1667 words a day.  I can't write that much on Wednesdays and I took a weekend out of town, which meant my daily goal was higher.  Then I missed a few days.  Right now, I believe my daily goal is over 3000 words every day for the rest of the month.  That is so not happening.  Rather than stress over it more than I already have, I have admitted to myself that it's not going to happen.

However, that doesn't mean I'm done with my novel. 

Instead of rushing though 3000 words and leaving no time or energy for other things, I think I'll commit to an hour or 800 words every day that I don't have a meeting.  It's a low goal and one I think I can consistently meet.  My whole point in joining Camp NaNo was to get back into a habit of working on longer fiction, so this fits with my goals and doesn't make me crazy.

It's a nice stress reliever to tell myself that I can let something go and yet it get accomplished.  Especially when none of my other deadlines are flexible like that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment