Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Inspire: Gathering the Family


Define:family on Google brings up these definitions:
 They are all pretty cut, dried, and lacking what I think of when I think of family.  Well, except maybe for number 5…. 

I live in a duplex with my son (family #1).  I gather together with my parents, grandparents, and extended family (#2, 3, 4, 9, and sometimes 5… :)).  We call come from the same parents or grandparents, and we all share the same family history/mythology.  My aunts and uncle wouldn’t be here, and neither would I, if my grandfather hadn’t first seen my grandmother in the trunk of someone’s car driving down the street (As far as I know, there was no illegal activity going on, just a ride to the drive-in theatre). 

However, my family extends beyond the reaches of blood and history.  I consider my good friends family.  Sometimes, my friends know me better than my blood family.  A lot of my core values, the way I view the world, are completely different from my relatives but in line with my friends.  My kiddo tends to be a part of those friend relationships as well, and I’m quite happy to be raising him in an extended friend-family.

It doesn’t matter to me if those gathered around the dinner table are friends or relatives, they are all family.  And I am thankful for every wonderful face.

No comments:

Post a Comment