Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Write: My November Schedule

How do you write a novel when you have many other things going on?  You add writing to your schedule. 

Normally, my schedule involves days.  For instance, Wednesday is Ames C.art day.  I have my Ames C.art meetings, work on tasks assigned to me, write newsletters and create Facebook pages.  Tuesday I'm supposed to work on writing.  Thursday, I'm supposed to be crafting.  But when a task involves doing something everyday, it's typically not schedule and almost never gets done.

For NaNoWriMo, I decided to make my writing time from 8pm to 10pm every night.  The kiddo starts getting ready for bed at 8:30 and bedtime is 9pm so I'm not missing time with him.  Last night I didn't get started writing until 8:30, but I went above and beyond my desired word count.  So far, it seems to be working.

The second part of my writing schedule does involve days.  I know that on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and one Monday I will not be able to achieve 1667 words.  Instead, I have given myself a goal of 250 words on those days and added the word count to Saturday and Sunday goals when I typically have more time to write.  Why didn't I take those days off my schedule entirely?  I feel like if I miss one day of writing, it will break my habit and it will all spiral down from there.  250 words isn't a lot, but it is progress.

Are you participating in National Novel Writing Month?  What does your writing schedule look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment