Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Muse: NaNoWriMo

It's November 1st, and that means that it's National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).  What is this, you might ask?  It is
National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.
This is about quantity, not necessarily quality.  It's a way to get people to just sit down and write.  Lots of people (myself included) have always wanted to write a novel but have never gotten around to it.  There are too many monsters saying no in our heads.  NaNoWriMo is a way to get past that.  Not only is it a goal, but it is a group of people who want to help you with that goal.

I've heard about this thing for a couple years but have never done anything about it.  This year is different.  This year I am participating and hopefully will be able to crank out this idea in my head. 

Since I don't have a computer at home, I am writing most of my story long hand.  I worked it out to be about six pages a day.  I've already written two and a half this morning on my commute, so I feel pretty good about being able to reach my goal.  Granted, half of it might have to be scrapped and rewritten in the editing phase, but that's okay because it will have been written.  This may start a new habit of writing multiple pages in the morning.  Which I think is a good thing.

You may also notice that this mornings post is not entitled 'Inspire.'  I've decided that one of my changes to the blog will be the Inspire, Write, and Create headers.  They will be changed to Muse, Musing, and Mused.  Soon I am hoping to also have pages/links on the side so that you can go directly to all the posts under a certain heading.

Are you going to write this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment