Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

Inspire: Stop Dreaming and Do It

I had a talk with a friend recently about being tired of being good at a lot of things but not great at anything after a comment about how I should learn more about crochet.  She made a list of all the skills she had, narrowed it down to the top selection, and narrowed it down again to what she wanted to focus on.  I realized that that is sort of what has been percolating in my mind.  I have a million more techniques and crafts that I want to learn, but I want to become better at what I already know.

One of the things I want to be better at is my writing.  I just discovered yesterday that April is National Poetry Month.  For someone who wants to write, I feel pretty silly not knowing about this.  I probably did, but I tend to hermit and miss important information.  I'm slowly coming out of that and realizing what I should know and do to meet my goals rather than just dreaming.

At the same time, I've realized that I tend to try to skip steps, especially with my writing.  If you've read through the old blog posts, you might have noticed the 'get out there and do it' state of mind I've been in.  It's a great thought, but that doesn't mean I can go from not writing to submitting the next day.  I need to slow down and work on my technique, my poems, and just writing itself.  I want to have a body of work that I am proud of before I start submitting again.  Plus, that should hopefully keep me from writing poems for a specific publication.  That wouldn't be me being a poet, it would be me writing to get published.  They are completely different animals.

So, as it is April, I will (now) be trying to follow the Poem a Day challenge and devote the month to taking the steps to meeting my goals.  I hope to share the best with you.

What do you want to do?  How are you meeting your goals and dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment