Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

Inspire: Surprise Inspiration

Quick Note:  Sorry, again, for posting late.  Dentist appointment so no work today, and I tried all this weekend to get to the library and failed miserably.  The rest of the week should be fine. 

I went to the thrift store yesterday before a meeting because I forgot to check what time the library opened when I checked what time it closed.  I've been haunting the stores for cassarole dishes and parts for the childs theatre costumes.  I was overwhelmed with what I found.  It was amazing, I could have spent fifty dollars and still had things I wanted.  And for those of you not familiar with thrift stores, fifty dollars goes a long, long ways.

I am constantly reminded why I would rather go to thrift stores than the big box stores every time I go in there.  Yesterday I was drawn to a large square basket, the type with an attached lid, handles, and lock.  I thought it might be a picnic basket.  When I opened it up, it turned out to be full of vintage cross stitch and embroidery supplies.  For eight dollars, I had to have it.  Not only could it possibly be retouched to carry traveling craft supplies, but it was just awesome.  I aquired several patterns, some works in progress, about five unopened aida cross stitch clothes, and bits and pieces of everything.

This basket inspires me to continue to look around me, in unlikely spots, for inspiration for my life.  It keeps my eyes open to the world of possibilities, especially in places others think of as ordinary.  It's part of the art of poetry as well to draw out the mystery of the everyday.

What surprises and inspiration can you find in what others have given away?

No comments:

Post a Comment